Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Poem: Absent or Called in Sick Today

Absent.  
May, 2011
Older Son

You are "feeling well" today, 
and at home you wanted to stay.
So I called you in sick to school,
Dad would've said: "staying home wasn't cool!"

But as a teenager you won't want to spend,
A moment with me or make amends.
So today what would you to like to do?
Go to a museum or maybe the zoo?

I'll pack a snack, it'll be such fun,
And then we'll take a walk in the sun.
Your only 5 for a limited time,
And I want every minute to be sublime.

So when your 14 I'll leave you alone,
And in my heart I'll have known,
That we spent a day at play,
when I called you in sick to school today!


The Story Behind the Poem:

When it was just my older son and I at home - we went out on outings nearly everyday of the week. Once to a museum, one day to the library story time hour, one day to fetch groceries, and everyday to the park! I loved being out with him. Even after my young son was born, by 6 months we were back going on our outings, the 3 of us. 

So when school started... I MISSED my son soooooo much! Preschools 3-hour schedule was manageable, but after mid year when we transitioned from half-day kindergarten to full day, that was tough. Then it happened. My older son missed ME!! He wanted to stay home and do things "like we used to." OKAY!!! I (happily) called my older son in sick, to Kindergarten. I know, we parents, embedded in the education system lied! My son simply wanted to be home with me that day... And how I treasured it too. 

We did end up going to the zoo, seeing his favorite animals. So the day was educational still, but mostly because I was with him, again, out exploring like we used to... It was totally worth it! 


by: Areyousureaboutthatblog Author
Not Authorized for Reproduction Without Permission

Make Mistakes. Breath, Reflect. and Laugh.Out.Loud

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it