Thursday, February 27, 2014

What can parents do to help kids with Standardized Test Anxiety ? And now with the PARCC test too.

Standardized testing is a part of our educational system. And ISATs are the current hot topic. But there is a real issue here for me. My son, who usually isn't high anxiety is feeling EXTREMELY anxious about the ISAT. And anxiety is NOT the norm in our home. What can parents do to help kids deal with ISAT anxiety and testing? 

Some parents choose to opt-out their kids from taking the test, Sun Times Article and Progress Illinois. Most parents remain the all frustrating neutral and "do nothing," but I won't stand by and ruin my sons emotional well-being.



My parenting role is summed up in my blog introduction: "...and now I need to teach them some basic survival skills, so my children can be successful adults. These blogs are about my observations in our day to day lives, and how I use them as teachable moments." Are ISATs a teachable moment. NOT really, but they are an opportunity to help with some ANXIETY AND STRESS related coping skills.

I should say my "wife of a Principal perspective" is blended. Obviously I want to support my child and get the best education for them. And I want to support my husband and "tow the line" for the school. Can you say Dilemma? His perspective, while highly trained, and understanding of the "system" and often right, doesn't mean I agree. and so this blog post on my perspective and our home balancing act.

If you are reading this post, please post a comment below on what you liked - or didn't  - about this read. Does the topic interest you and you want to know more? Submit a question and I am happy to tackle it.

Here's some facts about ISAT from the CAN TV special presented by Friends of Goethe Elementary called "Is it time to ICE the ISAT."

This is not an endorsement / nor an opposition. Instead I like reading and seeing the issues from all sides. And this is one that is well versed: 

Fact: ISAT data is not used actively in teacher meeting. It's all quantitative. You shouldn't have to count and divide and get percentages to measure projects.
Fact: alternatives AUTHENTIC assessments work: project based, portfolio based, group projects, countless measures exist. These assessments aren't data based but they are real and credible.
Fact: prepping for the test squeezes time out of our school day. Remember the extra hour we fought for to add to our shook day... It's being wasted on ISAT prep.
Fact: teachers are in classrooms 7 hours+ a day with our kids. They know instinctively who "gets it" and who doesn't. We do need to rely on teachers, they are NOT the bad guys.
Fact: ISAT testing doesn't support modern teaching like differentiated instruction. A fill in scanted bubble test DOESN'T support differentiated instruction.  If a student John Doe isn't a good writer, or struggles in reading, ISAT DOES NOT measure his grade level knowledge. Period. 
WHY should parents care? If the above bullet point FACTS and information about the ISAT testing issue IS NOT enough, consider the impact on your child/ren(s) learning and what they LOSE during test prep. 
I think often as parents we "don't know" what we "don't know" (taken from the SWOT analysis) aspects of education system. And that's OKAY, your job isn't to be the expert. But you do need to know the minimum on what's expected: 
1. talk to you Child and 
2. Teachers. You can make a tremendous positive impact to help your child/ren.


This May or May not be you as a Parent: 

My favorite position in all this chatter is most of us, the parent who feels neutral. The no-action parent. The majority of parents aren't "opting out" of the test. The majority are simply going with the flow following the path as dictated by schools. I ask you, the neutral parent to consider your child' classroom. As a parent, I simply like to see what is and isn't happening as they learn. If my child is getting great classroom methods then I will be less stressed about testing.


What is your child/ren LOSING in their education (and sanity) when instead if school work they are working on ISAT test prep?  

  • Children aren't working in small groups
  • Children aren't working on projects
  • Children aren't learning new material
  • Children ARE being exposed to anxious teachers
  • Children ARE being exposed to teachers pushing them to do well on a bubble test.
  • Children should have teachers pushing them to do well on {INSERT ACTIVITY} instead of the mundane and outdated ISST test.
  • Children ARE feeling the anxiety if a test that simply ranks them. And this is the man reason I am taking action... With my kids.
  • Again remember that extra hour in the school day we all advocated for/against, ya it's being used for ISAT prep.
  • The ISAT issue is a beautiful problem, it addresses the problem of bubble test assessments, non-differentiated, non-stimulating, no data benefit assessments.  

Testing issues instead help us opens the conversation about what we SHOULD be doing in the classroom. Read here about Finlands no-assessment high-achieving-students educational system.
and additional scholarly articles on Finland's ed system.

This isn't the individual schools fault, the principals, or the parents on either side. It's an issue in education - how do we measure performance... and so the debate continues.


My (not usually) Anxious Son

So back to how this all started. In NOVEMBER my 3rd grade older son came home telling me "mom, I March we are taking the ISAT test. It's a very important test!" I didn't say much, or ask yet, "what does that mean son" and let it go. Nearly every month his teacher (who in my opinion is not at fault here) would give this same schpeal to the class. Over winter break something triggered him and for 3 days, instead of enjoying time away from school he was already feeling anxious about the test.

My Third Grader started worrying:
"What happens if I don't do well?"
"Will I get a bad grade?"
"Will I stay in the 3rd grade?"

I calmly reassured him, "Nothing will happen." And really nothing would happen. My replies:
"I'm sure you will do well."
"Why are you thinking you'll do badly."
"You get good grades and work hard on your tests and projects. Why would you do worse on the ISAT?"

He said "because it's [the ISAT] more important!" 

What? Now I'm frustrated! The ISAT IS NOT more important then your day-to-day work!! I explained this to him and in an uber calm tone of voice.

Granted this is anecdotal, but my Facebook and Twitter Feed is blowing up with friends and acquaintances from my professional life, consulting career, clients (and yes high school friends) from all races, income levels, and genders, who's kids are having anxiety about this test. This anxiety unites us. This frustration in our kids unites us NEUTRAL parents. 

The pressure Administrators and Teachers feel is bleeding all over our kids. Not in every school but in our last school it did. As adults in the school system they should KEEP QUIET about the "All important" test. Children DO NOT understand the "importance of it." It is Not a measure of children's performance. It is NOT a measure of the children. It is a measure of the Teachers and Administrators success in teaching what has been expected. Thus my frustration. My kid shouldn't be the one to fret or feel pressure. If he IS learning it will be so reflected.


What can Parents DO about the ISATs?

My older sons anxiety about ISAT is completely school driven! So I need to counter balance that anxiety with calm. I am not an overly calm person, so I work INTENTIONALLY to help ease his concerns.

My talking points with my son are below. But in this category - parents can do even more.

STEP ONE: Just one clickSimply sign the petition to end the ISATS - please click here to electronically sign the Scrap the ISAT in Illinois petition at Change.org and the petition is one the RIGH HAND SIDE of the screen. It IS EASY TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

STEP TWO:
I tell my ISAT Anxious son:

  • I expect you to do your best on the ISAT.
  • I expect you to make mistakes on the ISAT just like we make mistakes in life everyday. (See my philosophy, which educational studies support drive, mistakes ARE how kids learn too).
  • Just like with all tests you must get a good night sleep and eat a big breakfast.
  • UNLIKE with all tests - this one you can't study for. For this test just do your best.
  • The ISAT IS NOT the most important thing in our life. We DO NOT prepare only for the ISAT. You sill have spelling homework, math home links, grammar and reading logs and book reports to complete. Not to mention your responsibilities at home and play time. We will First, work on our homework. Second, study for non-ISAT tests and spelling words. Then, if we have time we will review your ISAT practice sheets. (Since the intention of the ISAT is a measurement of what kids should "know," and my son is overall performing at an A / B grade level, we will focus on our work. That should suffice and I am following the intention of the test. As an aside, we believe in play based learning at home, here is a post on that way of learning in action withy kids and to more information on the subject.)
  • If you are struggling with certain concepts, simply "more hard work" isn't enough. We will look at new ways to teach you the concepts you need to learn (work with teacher as needed, but during ISAT). Effort + New Strategies + working Hard.
My job here is to stay level headed about this ISAT test, and help balance my sons life. I don't believe in opting out. Partially because the education system doesn't support it - kids are expected to play quietly in self-directed activities while the rest of the class preps for ISAT.

"Parents should be informed that there will be no alternate instruction 
given during the assessment and that children who are not being assessed 
will be required to engage in a silent, self-guided activity while their 
peers are being tested."


  • In addition, in our local neighborhood school we have nearly  ZERO parents opting out. This isn't an issue for my son I have to contend with and be teased by kids because he doesn't participate. Which we will probably not opt out. My son would get the social ramifications, not me.

I take this ISAT anxiety issue - because this is about my son and not the test - and treat is like any other problem we face. I help him cope with it. We talk about it. No he can't simply "blow it off" because in life we can't always run away from the problem. But we can face the problem and talk about options we have to deal with it.

ISATs are taking place next week. Since winter break my sons anxiety level has fallen... Leaps and bounds. He's still anxious, but on a scale of 1 (low) - 10 (high) he said he's about a 2 or 3. That's great with me! Again it's an important test for the school, therefore not HIS priority. He should try to do well, but it's not career ending is he fails. 

Original post February 25, 2014

Make Mistakes. Breath, reflect. And Laugh.Out.Loud


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it