Saturday, March 8, 2014

Poem: The Cycle

The Story Behind the Poem:

Abuse and neglect carry over generations, it becomes a "parenting style."  How could a child raised in such an environment: ... know how to raise her own children? Break the cycle? Lift herself out of such hopelessness and tragedy for a beautiful life? 

My husband worked as an administrator in the inner city schools for several years. The stories he told me inspired this poem. Many many scary stories. All the more horrifying BECAUSE they were TRUE. Working in the ghetto, gives you perspective on issues you cannot even begin to understand, unless you've been there. All of the stories collided in my mind as if lived thru the eyes of a little girl. 

I wrote this poem in 2008. However, years later another accidental ride through the inner city reminded me of this time in my life, a Visit to the Westside of Chicago through photos. 



Westside of Chicago by areyousureaboutthatblog

The Cycle

Growin' old, age 3, didn't get beat,
Gettin McD's and somethi' sweet.
'Cause My mama gave me $5 today,
Gonna sit now on a porch 'n play.

Mama came home, she didn't say hi,
Sat next to her watchin' the bruise heal on her eye.
Watchin' TV, sesame street, 
Elmo the monster is cute, he has Red feet.

Starting school, I didn't know why?
Grandnana said education Is mine.
Walked in, my belly aches,
Wishin' for some hotcakes.

Sitting in the office again, I was yellin' at my friend.
A mama came 'n, her boy was 8. 
Signin' him up for school a little late.
He touched a pencil 'n the desk, 
When she looked at him her eyes popped out of her head!
He put his hand down real fast,
He looked at her know'n this peace wouldn't last.
She said he was dumb, she didn't know what to do, 
so she decided to send him to skoo'.

Graduat'n today, mama was late,
My diploma shows I did great.
High schools ah'ight, boys get'n in so many a fight.
My boyfriend asked me if I'm gonna have my baby tonight.


by: Areyousureaboutthatblog Author
Not Authorized for Reproduction Without Permission
Make Mistakes. Breathe, Reflect. and Laugh.Out.Loud

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it