Saturday, March 8, 2014

DIY Junior Bunk Bed Ladder, Under $8 for our Crib Conversion

Recently I converted our crib into a Junior bunk bed (here's how) for my younger son. He wanted a bunk bed for his birthday. As I browsed ideas online, I was troubled with the thought of spending money for two new beds (older son was going to get one too). Why spend $100 for a new metal bunk bed when we had a perfectly good solution at home. Now I just needed a ladder. He had been climbing in strenuously for a few weeks. Partially because bunk bed ladders and 3 or 4 step ladder cost $50 on amazon. I didn't save all this cash to spend it on a ladder! I did find a $20 rope ladder for indoor outdoor use, however I soon realized we had a resource right at home.

The boys have this wood building set, similar to Lincoln logs, however larger stronger solid pieces. When I was taking one of the sticks away from the boys, telling them these are NOT swords, quidditch brooms, (or insert you weapon of choice here) you realized how strong and solid these pieces were.

The rope ladder that I had ordered was made of slim pieces of wood for the steps. These pieces I had at home would definitely suffice. I knew I could attached them to the thick slats of the bed if I pre-drilled holes for the nuts and bolts (pre-drill so the wood doesn't crack). However I didn't want to drill holes in the "steps" because they wouldn't be as sound or stable to support my sons, and daughters, weight. So I decided to attached them using a bracket. We had to be creative, and the guy at the hardware store was helpful. He suggested copper pipe fittings to brace down the slats. they worked great.

DIY Junior Bunk Bed $6 Ladder for our Crib Conversion by areyousureaboutthatblog
DIY Junior Bunk Bed $6 Ladder for our Crib Conversion, a photo by areyousureaboutthatblog on Flickr.
So once I was inspired there was no stopping me....onto making our crib I mean Junior Bunk Bed Ladder.

What I needed:

- 2 wood slats for the ladder (from our Lincoln log-like set at home)
- electric drill for screws and to pre drill holes.
- electric hand saw to cut away unnecessary bed slats so my son could walk up the ladder comfortably.
- nuts and bolts to attach brace to slats ($1.50 for 6)
- brace / pipe fitting to attach the steps. I took a piece of my wood step with me to make sure the brace would fit around the wood and be able to sit flush against the slats where it would be bolted. ($3.50 for 5) Ironically when looking for the flat square like brace which I had in mind, it didn't exist at the big box hardware store. I asked an employee in his orange apron for help and he advised these copper or steel pipe fittings that plumbers use.

Total $3.50 for the brackets and $3.00 for the nuts and bolts. $7.50

The rope ladder is being returned. I am sure it's great. But I like my low cost homemade option instead.

Steps to installing my Easy Crib Ladder:

Guesstimating Spacing
I held up the wood pieces and eye balled there fit. I was playing moving them up and down guesstimating there spacing. Looking for problems. First, I wanted to be sure they would be long enough from the left side leg to a slat near the middle. Second, I also eye-balled spacing of the pieces as steps.

Cutting
I marked my wood pieces. Cut them with the saw (on the saw stand). After I sawed down the wood pieces I marked again where I'd like the pipe fittings, this time measuring for space between steps.

More Guesstimating
I didn't want my young son stepping to high or too short between steps - I wanted him to have a natural feel climbing up and down this ladder. My steps worked our to be about 9 1/2 inches apart. Allowing for the natural crib top rail (now on the bottom) to serve as the first short step off the ground.

You will also notice when I installed the most top rung, its slightly under 9 1/2 inches because I didn't want him to bump into the top of the crib mattress peeking through under the most top rail - see the light green sheet and the gap just above it.

After the Install, Troubleshooting
Even tho the pipefittings seemed to fit snug when I tested them with the wood pieces set against the Bunk Bed Rail and just before final bolt and nut installation, once I screwed and tightened everything there was still a "little wiggle" to the steps. I didn't want ANY MOVEMENT incase my sons cute little tow or skin of his foot was near the bracing he could get pinched. I realized I needed something like a little "shim," to help secure a snug fit. Similar to how construction installation works on a new door, or any wood working.

I hit the toolbox back in the basement and found little electric tube caps used in wiring. These would be too big, however that sparked the idea to use the plastic anchors (sold in picture hanging sets) to slip into the brace. I ended up pushing them in - one on each side of the brace - with my fingers first and (when the fit was still loose) hammering them in further. They went in nearly all the way with the hammer. And everything was snug. No pinched toes or feet :-)

I am happy to report that since this post my darling baby girl climbs up the bunk bed to join her brother for a book in the morning. I hear them often in my light sleep. Gosh I love those kids letting mommy rest a few more minutes....


Make Mistakes. Breath, Reflect. and Laugh.Out.Loud

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it