Friday, May 2, 2014

Our Insects Pinned Wasp as a Gift and How To Pin Insects Guide

On a nature center visit in summer of 2013 all the cousins have a Nature Scavenger Hunt to complete. On our list was find an insect, of course! Each child found one, alive or dead. Our young cousin A (age 5 at the time) found this dead wasp and another insect, unidentified. 

Our Insects Pinned Wasp as a Gift and How To Pin Insects Guide 


So I pinned them for her. I have many many baby food jars still in storage from the days when I home made baby food for my little ones. I never threw out the jars because they have so many uses: seasonings jar, lost and found trinkets in the laundry room, leftover storage for sauces and condiments to refrigerate, and now, EXCELLENT bug storage.


I want her to have her bug from our outing (which the kids all still talk about today). It's a unique treasure. She can see the bug from all angles and access it by unscrewing the lid. 

I'll be sure to instruct her (and mom) to keep it well away from her two younger siblings and find a special home for this keepsake. And really the gift will be able to survive for generations if they want.


LIFE IS STILL EXCITING AT OUR HOUSE! 
With more insects. . . 


AMI Studios Chicago

It's mostly baby girls videos and here slime making, she spends time with friends, goes on road trips, lots of coloring activities and make good choices while having fun. During the covid stay at home orders - she had many many many facetime pandemic playdates - we made time work for us and not be bored.


Our Insects Pinned Wasp as a Gift and How To Pin Insects Guide 

Process for making a bug jar.


What You Will Need:

  • baby food jar, cleaned and dried
  • piece of styrofoam
  • scissors
  • pinned bugs, labeled
  • glue, if planning to seal the jar


1. I pinned the bug and labeled it. It's been left to dry. Then I guesstimated if the bugs would fit on the lid, there was plenty of room.

2. Using the baby food jar I pre measured styrofoam by pressing the lid onto the styrofoam.

3. I cut it to the shape.

4. Then I tried to place the jar over the styrofoam on the lid without having the jar sides touch. It was a little snug. I also moved the pinned bugs to the styrofoam to make sure they would also fit in the jar without getting any of there wings or legs caught. It fit perfectly!!

5. I shave the edges of the styrofoam a little more, before glueing it securely to the lid (with epoxy that was on hand).

6. I moved the pinned bug to the styrofoam and screwed the jar to the lid. If you feel it's necessary, especially for younger kids under age 5, you can glue the jar to the lid for permanent storage.

I hope she loves her gift and it's a special reminder of the day we collected it.

And that's how we do it - Our Insects Pinned Wasp as a Gift and How To Pin Insects Guide 
This is a really alternative gift idea, but if you can do it, why not?

Make Mistakes. Breathe, Reflect, and Laugh.Out.Loud

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it