Saturday, May 3, 2014

An Impromptu Bug Collection during Autumn Break - Our Family Hobby Insect Collecting

During our annual trip to Wisconsin Dells, we stay at my dads home there. And it's always fun "opening" the cabin. We have to turn on the water, heat, and usually in the Autumn and Early Winter, Sweeps up the Guests who are coming in to hibernate and excape from the cold. In 2011 we had just begun bug collecting, as you can read about here.

An Impromptu Bug Collection during Autumn Break - Our Family Hobby Insect Collecting

During this trip on October 23, 2012 we found a significant amount of lady bugs, western conifers, and a few flies and an ear wig. I am assuming all were headed indoors for hibernation, however the lack of food killed them. The reason this box is impromptu is because I had NO bug collecting supplies with me. Nothing for pinning either. So what does a mom do when her kids suggest what we just swept up be collected? We went to walgreens in downtown Wisconsin Dells.

At walgreens I found a Ferraro Roche Chocolates clear box, $11 for the benefit of having to eat the chocolates too. Straight Pins set $3. And El Cheapo Clear Nail Polish for $0.99. (Nowadays I always have my "good clear polish" with me that I could've become a donation to the collection. I would reuse polish after it's been bug touching. Paper and styrofoam were readily available at the cabin because my dad keeps stuff - not alot - but just enough "just incase" it's needed. So the garage had some styrofoam left over from a delivery he had. Yaay.



LIFE IS STILL EXCITING AT OUR HOUSE! 
With more insects. . . 


AMI Studios Chicago

It's mostly baby girls videos and here slime making, she spends time with friends, goes on road trips, lots of coloring activities and make good choices while having fun. During the covid stay at home orders - she had many many many facetime pandemic playdates - we made time work for us and not be bored.


An Impromptu Bug Collection during Autumn Break - Our Family Hobby Insect Collecting


I already knew I would use the card point method for the lady bugs. I didnt want to have to take the time to hydrate them all and insert a pin (which straight pins are fairly large) and interfere with their pattern. I simply cut card points for the glueing. However I did hydrate the ones that I ended up showing in flight. I didn't want to risk breaking their "wings."

Ladybugs: Their were 34 lady bugs. Pinned in rows in the top center. The tiniest pinned to the top left. And just for fun, the far top righ shows them evolving into flight: The process of opening their wings.... When you have 34 bugs you can do a cool display like this. Then the middle row is all the ladybugs in the same color grouping also shown with wings open.

I found 4 unknown bugs in the following 6th row.

There are 4 flies, followed to the right by 1 ear wig.

To the farthest lower right are a set of 6 Western Conifers.

And finally pinned at the very botton are 2 spiders, unknown species. 

2012-10-23 Wisconsin Dells 001

I left the box on display near the fireplace instead of bringing it home. I knew that leaving it there would partially drive my dad nuts (that he hasn't seen it first). Also, his European friends amd visitors would appreciate the box. We left the box with a lovely note inside and a few tags to identify the species, NO I SINNED and didn't individually label each bug.

This was a fun impromptu project for the kids and I. Even husband would peer over my shoulder to check out the progress. Total actual pinning time was about 2 hours, not including sweeping them up, and purchasing supplies.

When we came home I was fascinated by the color distinctions of these bugs. So I checked out some great sources for learning more.

I found University of Florida, also with a spectacular photo series and description of all the bugs phases, infestation and general identification resources. Here is University of Kentucky, with some excellent photos of Ladybugs.

Make Mistakes. Breathe, Reflect and Laugh.Out.Loud

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it