Monday, August 24, 2026

How to help your kids with homework. I had to learn

How to help your kids with homework. I had to learn how to be a mom. And while there is so much support for having a baby in this world, by the time your kid reaches the middle years of elementary school the support suddenly drops off. I see the middle school kids and our elementary school, 5+ grades, and their parents no longer attend events. When you're in preschool they have to shoe the parents away from helping in the class, the list overflows for volunteer sign-ups. But by the time you get to the older years parents are no longer as hands-on. Why is that? Probably because our kids also get more difficult more challenging more, sassy.

But one thing I found pretty consistent is the school system does not help us as parents to build our skills on how to help them learn. One of those ways his homework. The newest trend is actually ironically for this post, schools are moving away from homework. In our household whether you get an assignment from school or not there is some sort of work to be done after school. No devices, no TV.
I know that's a shocker! I've had parents say to me "what do the children do for those 34 hours after school? "

I'll say there's definitely plenty of playtime. I encourage them to play in the toy room with the toys they have. To play a family game light. And then a lot of the time Mom is prepping dinner and cleaning up after dinner and we're all doing chores.

The adjustments to move away from TV if that something you used today can be challenging. Do not plan on doing it all at once. I was talking with mom in the schoolyard after school, and we started talking about homework. And she said I don't know what to do about homework. Literally. We as parents have not been taught how to help our kids. So, This post is just to review "how we can help our kids with homework" when we don't know what to do as parents.

So the first step is talking to your kids about school. And I know this sounds simple but it really is one of the biggest pieces of helping our children. Even if you don't know mass, or your mom that can't read, as was the case with my husband's mother. You don't have to know and understand the content of what they're being given in order to make them successful. Ask about their school day. Ask about the fight at recess, or what was for lunch, was it the gross chicken nuggets or the pizza they love. Get to know your child. That's a big piece of this. Because you'll also understand them and be able to see through those times that they don't want to do homework.

Next is that question, what's for homework tonight? If they say nothing then it's completely OK for you to give them an assignment. Maybe it's reading two pages of a book, or solving three math problems. Any type of work you do at home will reinforce what they're learning at school. If you can't check the work that's OK, because homework is about getting in the habit studying and reviewing your day to reinforce what was learned. To talk more in depth about what was Lawrence.
I would argue that any parent can do this. Rich, poor, working days, working nights. Anytime you see your child one of the question should be what are you working on in school. What was for homework last night? This will help you get to know them and your child will see that the work they do is important enough to talk about it at home. These are simple measures that attract attention to the school work that's being done and shows your child how important that work. Is to you their parents. Because when you Yellit them about not doing their chores, children realize chores are important. Because when you Yellit them about brushing their teeth, children understand that brushing their teeth is important. I am not saying Yellit them about their homework. We need to move away from that as a society. But you can't talk about homework. You can ask them did you turn in that assignment? So when you go to school and have a parent teacher conference maybe they'll be less prizes. You'll have a better understanding of what they're learning in the classroom. And hopefully it matches what the teacher says. What your child has been telling you should sound for Milyer it when you get to meet the teacher.


From the Everyday to the Extraordinary...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it