Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Celebrating my 4 Year Blogging Anniversary with The Top 4 Blog Posts

6 Years Later, these posts still roar the loudest! Thank you for your continued readership!!

I'm enjoying spending time with my kids, experiencing these early years in boring day to day activities, finding their joy while we run errands, and the fun projects and kid activities we do over-and-over-and-over at home. Raising kids has some simple joys: like when baby girl wants to hear the "put on Bumble Bee song" again. And then the frustration I know I'll feel when all 3 are in the car fighting who's song gets played first. During my short blogging experience, its 2014 and we're pushing year number 4, I've found that on days I feel like a loser mom who doesn't do enough,... That I do just that. Enough. We don't need to do more. We don't need to try EVERY Pinterest craft (although we do like to try new ones that are easily changed up with a little tweak). We simply need to keep our "routine" which keeps us sane and keeps us doing new things.

 While reviewing my posts and cleaning up labels I was pleased to find increased views (perhaps my Twitter shares is helping, or the fact that we have linked into the Insect Underworld?), and having nearly 7,000 page views is exciting for this simple mom from Chicago. 

 The Top 4 Most Viewed Posts 

My first posts stay the most popular after all these years. When I just had my first older son, I was hyper vigilant about trying to raise him to be confident. I had observed some strange behaviors in the men in my life, and my family is outnumbered by men at least 3:1 men to women. I wanted to understand what is the cause of the underlying behaviors was so as a mom I didn't repeat the issues that boys have. And so the post that you love so much came to life.

No. 1

Parenting Boys to Become Confident Men See the full post here.


My next obsession in trying to be a better mom was our Routine. Was I spending my day efficiently, we're there some mommy ideas that I could use to make even better use of my day? I wanted to incorporate school-like learning into our day. Since then I have learned that kids will learn everyday, we just need to let them observe and explore at their own pace. I used to try to "make a learning moment" and I discovered that moments will happen, as a mom I have to left my son take the time to watch the squirrel, read the book, or color when HE wants to and when he feels inspired. Granted that big lesson evolved over a few years, and big lessons were learned from his Preschool teacher. Talk about A-Ha moments. But back to schedules and routines. I knew I wanted to limit TV time, and since this post was written I would change one big aspect, I WOULD let my son watch a little more cartoons on PBS (no commercials) and watch movies at least once a week (similar to our movie nights now as a family of 5). What? Yes, limiting tube time is beneficial, Why? My older son is the only one of 3 kids who "zones out" in front of the TV. 

He's not concentrating on the show, he's literally engrossed in it. The other two younger ones don't become so engrossed. The TV can be in the background - like background noise almost - with them, unlike with my older son. I think changing this one aspect would help my son see TV as something normal, an almost everyday thing, and not something "special." Older son is 9 years old now and he no longer gets sucked up into the TV in a poltergeist-esque way. He's way more normal about watching TV, unless it's Life of Mammals, that still a regular feature flick here and he demands silence in the room as we watch so he can hear every detail being shared.

No. 2
The 2nd Place Most Popular Post 
Limiting Kids TV Time with a No TV Schedule 

And if you limit kids TV, What should the kid be doing? There's plenty to do, as you'll see in the post.


No. 3 Two posts are tied for 3rd place. 
I started a Pinterest account for myself when I saw some friends posting the coolest kids activities on Facebook. As we started pinning Insects, I wanted to document our progress and started a Pinterest Page for this blog, find us here at Areyousureaboutthat/Pinterest.com 

The 3rd Place *tied* Most Popular Post 
Post for "Salt Glue and Paint Toddler Project" and "Sensory Bins and Bags: I spy, Ocean Blue and an African Habitat.
These two inspirations came from Pinterest. We remade sensory bottles oh so many times... Sensory bins became my go to saving grace at friends homes to keep kids busy (when the toys we brought lost their fun). The kids would get immersed in the making of the sensory bags and would play with them for long periods of time. We evolved to using Sensory Bottles since they were cleaner (less leakage) and easier to manage to the kids. They could actually practice pouring into the small openings or use (extra fun) funnels. In our the Ocean Blue, I know the rich color of the bags.
Our 1st sensory bags - Red I-Spy complete with poem and the Blue Baby Oil Ocean Areyousureaboutthatblog
That rich color was made by mixing the food coloring with baby oil in one of the first steps. We still have that sensory bag, poured into a sensory bottle.
African Habitat Sensory Bin Areyousureaboutthatblog

The small animals in the habitat pictures helped me get a lot of click thrus from Pinterest. And yes, we have sensory bins in their holding corners that baby girl uses often even today. She prefers measuring tools to animals, and spends loads of time with them. She's even better at NOT pouring all the rice all over the floor (bonus). Younger son still occasionally enjoy the sensory bin even after he's started Kindergarten.

No 4.
The Most Researched and 4th place most Popular Post 

"Breastfeeding, A Collection of Tips from a Mom who Nursed for Several Years (okay, A Decade)." 

See the Original (yet lovingly refreshed) Full Post Here. 

When I joined the Pinterest community, I experience all the shared advice available about breastfeeding your baby. Wow, what I would've given to have had a Pinterest type of site and later app to use as a breastfeeding resource. To be able to dig thru already sourced and pinned ideas and tips... But at the same time this post was inspired. 

I am obsessive when I research an idea. And when I started nursing I had a collection of (my) issues. There was so much I didn't know. In communities around the world kids grow up seeing women nurse. Mothers, cousins, sisters, aunts... It's everywhere! I didn't have this experience. And when I did have an aunt who was nursing my two cousins, I vividly remember she closed the door when she nursed her son. It wasn't for privacy, it was her version of some of those "weird men behaviors" I mentioned I noticed in my family. My reading and research brought my a whole collection of tips and advice that I felt were untapped. NOW many of these sites are booming, but some of my tips remain unsaid. I knew I needed to keep updating The Collection of Breastfeeding Tips when my cousin, who successfully nursed 3 daughters had a problem with her 4th baby, a son. I shared my advice for a SNS supplemental nursing system tube, which saved my nursing experience with my younger son and baby girl.

2013-05-07 165

So I updated the post, added some pics, and links where I could still find them. But it seems the advice and tips was better then the links (which a quick google search would help in). 

Thanks for reading my blog, about our fun and adventures.... And of course the Insects. 

Make Mistakes. Breathe, reflect, and Laugh.Out.Loud. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it