Sunday, February 10, 2013

Parents can Learn from Downton Abbey: Teaching our Kids Manners & Ettiquette (Season1, Episode 2 & 3)

I think it's become something of a loss, teaching manners to our children. Children learn by example, so does that mean we as Parents have lost our manners? Or maybe we just forget to use them.

I adore all the "proper" behavior in Downton Abbey. How refreshing to continually hear thank you, yes sir, My Lady or Miss so n so. I watch the properness of it all and I want my children to a least understand all of the etiquette so they can use manners during life's moments as needed. Perhaps dinner with the boss, meeting a girl, or when they need to make an impression!

Downton Abbey Table Ettiquette Measuring Spacing between Silverware

When you read "Snipets of What I say" it's a constant reminder that WE the parents need to lead by example, showing our kids the proper behaviors. Using a napkin at the table can't be mastered unless you always use a napkin at the table when the kids are eating. Entertaining a houseguest, and learning to share our toys, can't happen unless we show ours kids how to play with us, or with each other. And most importantly is how we answer our own child when they talk to us. So frequently I'll hear a mom answer her sons call with: "WHAT?!" I've answered my kids abruptly as well, but I always get that nice reminder when they answer ME that way! Time to self correct!!

Downton Abbey Service Receiving Line


Manners are all around us, the store clerk, the bank teller, you can witness good behaviors everywhere and that's another way to teach our own kids. I tell my son "did you see how nice that lady was, and she was so polite." My sons gotten to the point where HE can point out the NOT so nice behavior too.


The reward of all these Please and Thank You's? It comes when you least expect it. We were out at a very nice restaurant for my Babcias 80th birthday and my kids were all very well behaved. All that time and energy over the years telling them what's "good boy behavior" and "please act like a gentleman" paid off. I sat back, enjoying my glass of wine, watching my 7 year old have a nice conversation with his cousin and my 4 year old coloring with his Baba. So nice to be able to enjoy my own conversation not having to worry about my kids behaviors. They knew how to act, and felt confident at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Search This Blog

PIN it